1 NATIONAL NPO ACEPIGEON MIDDLE DISTANCE 2011 – THE NETHERLANDS
In 2007 Ben Pieper had with his little chequer cock named “Super” the 1st ace WHZB short distance. A very superb performance because the “Super” was in the national WHZB competition, a competition which is already more than 55 years old, the only bird ever who won this national ace bird competition with 5 x 1st prize. Hereby the impressive results of “Super” :
1st Strombeek (204km) against 34,403 birds
1st Lommel (131km) against 2,765 birds
1st Pommeroeul (269km) against 2,714 birds
1st Isnes (219km) against 1,563 birds
1st Vervins (315km) against 1,346 birds
A lot of buyers were interested in this superb cock but it was Jo Herbots who bought this national ace. The nest brother of “Super” won also 5 x 1st and 19 prizes by the first ten positions. This bird went to the breeding loft because he gave already good young birds.
In 2011 Ben Pieper had again a superb racing season. He became:
1st national champion NPO middle distance
1st national ace NPO middle distance with NL09-1754567
The “NL09-1754567” won, without doubles, following top results:
1st Peronne against 2,383 birds
1st Nanteuil against 981 birds
2nd Strombeek against 2,599 birds
2nd Nanteuil against 894 birds
5th Arras against 1,392 birds
8th Pommeroeul 2,172 birds
8th Nivelles against 2,323 birds
13th Pommeroeul against 2,618 birds
A nice story is that this national ace got lost from a bad race in 2010. He was caught by a German pigeon fancier. Ben did not doubt a second and drove to Germany to collect his bird. The “67” was still nice round, received one week of rest and was then basketted again. He won directly the 1st prize in the club. One week later he failed and Ben stopped him for the rest of the season 2010.
In 2011 the “67” performed extremely well with the national ace bird competition as top moment.
10 POINTS ABOUT HIS SYSTEM
1.For Ben the pigeon season starts begin of November. Ben gives all the pigeons a cure against tricho, coccidiosis and worms. Ben does not go to the vet. He does everything following his own feeling. There is also a cure against parathyfus given, but no vaccination afterwards.
2.End of December the hens and cocks are separated, so from the end of the racing season till end of December the sexes stay together. Only during the racing season the sexes are separated. Once a racing cock or racing hen is coupled with a partner, he stays his or her whole racing career by the same partner. Also the breeders stay there whole life by the same partner. Following Ben nobody knows the secret to breed top birds.
3. Begin of January the racing team is coupled. The eggs of the breeders are put under the year birds and the breeders can start a second round. The old birds breed their own babies. Till the babies are weaned the hens stay together by the cock. Afterwards they are separated for the rest of the season.
4. Before the racing season starts they are tossed for about 5 times. The first toss is about 15km far and they are tossed one by one. They are tossed from everywhere (north, west , east and south direction) and this happens only with very good weather. Blue sky with some white clouds.
5. By arrival of a race the birds receive some glucose or honey. Ben mix about 1 soupspoon honey per liter water. On Sunday they receive some vitamins. On Wednesday Sedochol is given.
6. The young birds are raced from two lofts of 2,5 meter each, which are a copy from each other. The sexes stay together so they are not raced on widowhood or following the system of sliding door.
7. The system by the young birds is the same as by the old birds. They are also tossed from different directions and also liberated 1 by 1. The selection of the young birds happens after the moulting season.
8. The young birds are first darked and afterwards lightened. Sometimes they have not completed their moult by the of the year. Normally this is no problem for the following racing season.
9. Sunday is family day. Then Ben is not between the pigeons but makes time for his wife and family. This is important to keep yourself and your family motivated for practicing pigeon sport.
10 The base of the colony is build up with pigeons of Ad Schaerlaeckens (Baarle Nassau), Herbots brothers (Halle Booienhoven), Arie Van Beek (Klak pigeons), Karel Boeckx (Turnhout), Dirk Van Dyck (Zandhoven), Leo Heremans (Vorselaar).